Thursday, April 3, 2008

Frothing Over a Starbucks in Little Colombia

A piece of local interest. What does the arrival of a Starbucks in Jackson Heights mean? Does it portend something? I know JH some; at times I go for street food vendors. And to catch the 7 train to Manhattan.

Little Colombia. Colombian food isn't very good; too much starch and meat, not much spice. And I say this as a Colombian-born man. Yes, it can be good, but overall, not my favorite. One good thing is Colombian coffee. Café con leche, without sugar, for me.

A line did catch my attention: Tara Darrow, a Starbucks spokeswoman, said the company, in choosing where to open branches, does not base the decision on “incomes or types of people there,” but rather, “We choose based on where we know people will welcome us and where we can be part of the community.” What a crock.

No comments:

Post a Comment