Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A reference question - Billy Joel-Fire

Yesterday two young ladies came in with a question: where can we find this book? It was a reference book on American history. They had no idea how to find a book, reference or otherwise. One of them was actually interested in the Dewey Decimal System, so I gave them a brief lesson on call numbers.

Their assignment was to research names and events mentioned in the Billy Joel song "We didn't start the Fire". I just now found a link to a site that does exactly that.

One of the students had this stanza:

U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, "Psycho", Belgians in the Congo


They thought that U2 was the singing group; when I told them it was a spy plane, they were amazed that it had the same name as the group. A, kids.

I told them Rhee was a South Korean president, that Congo was a Belgian colony. And I helped them find reference material.

No comments:

Post a Comment