Friday, September 5, 2008

Lou Gehrig: Iron Horse

A little maudlin, rather romanticized piece; clearly the man idolizes Gehrig, which ain't bad. The picture in the newspaper has a sepia tone, which makes it great. Still, it's Gehrig.

At the end of this baseball season, we will say goodbye to Yankee Stadium. My favorite memory of the ballpark comes from a game played 70 years ago this month. I wasn't there, but I have a picture of it in my mind, and I will cling to it when they tear up the sod and knock down the walls this winter.

I was so out of touch with baseball that I didn't even realize the Stadium was being replaced. My great memory is going to the Stadium for a double-header the Yankees played against the Red Sox: Elston Howard Day. Pepitone hit a grand-slammer in the first inning. After the second game, we walked out onto the warning track to get out of the Stadium; I remember standing by the 463ft. sign, looking toward home plate, and thinking it seemed very far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment