Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Reintroduction of Kirsten Gillibrand

There was a short drive to a breakfast held by the gay lobbyist group the Human Rights Campaign (“Who wrote these remarks? They’re not very good”), then a series of discourses on the special bond she feels with gay people (“I was a 34-year-old woman lawyer working twelve hours a day in New York City. All the men in the firm were married. My only friends were gay men”), why door-to-door campaigning is easy for her (“I was the No. 1 Girl Scout–cookie seller as a girl! I’d go into any neighborhood!”), and what she thought of Maureen Dowd’s labeling her Tracy Flick and calling her sharp-elbowed (“I think I have nice elbows”). We get off the train, and Gillibrand strides ahead in sensible black flats (“You would never write about Chuck Schumer’s shoes, but it’s okay. People want to know these things”).

Very true. Nobody calls wingtips (assuming Chuck wears them) sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment