According to the Alachua District library's own Web site, the library had 1.2 million visits last year. I am guessing this means that the turnstiles clicked over 1.2 million times, no telling what for. But let's stipulate that all those entrances were to actually use the library services and not just to get a drink of water, use the bathroom or escape the elements. The budget for the coming year is $19 million. That means that each visit costs over $15.
And so it continues.
And it gets even better. If my property tax bill is any indication, elimination of the library would result in an immediate 5.1 percent tax cut! I mean how hard can it be to sell a 5.1 percent tax cut to each and every property owner in Alachua County? I don't have the exact number in front of me, but I am guessing that it's over 70,000 people who would experience direct tax relief.
Well, it doesn't faze him that he's unsure about the number, but sure about his point.
The county commissioners are warning that the sky is falling because of a potential $3 million mandated tax cut. Here is a chance to cut six times that amount with no reduction in essential services.
My emphasis, his point.
No comments:
Post a Comment